Compliance & Ethics Associate Counsel
1 month ago
Hiring from: Anywhere
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
You'll join the award-winning Upwork Legal Team. We are a collaborative, business-minded, trusting and high-performing team that loves to work on state-of-the art legal issues and generate practical solutions to resolve and mitigate risk. The team has a passion for what we do that has been recognized in the industry. In 2016, we won The Recorder’s prestigious Legal Department of the Year (Emerging Companies) award.
Passionate about ethics, privacy, anti-money laundering/export control, and all things compliance? Upwork is hiring an Compliance & Ethics Associate Counsel to join our award-winning legal team. In this position, you will partner with other members of the legal team as well as cross-functional teams to ensure that compliance and ethics are top of mind in the design of new products and features by helping drive our compliance program.
As Compliance & Ethics Associate Counsel, you’ll have an opportunity to advise teams across our business on a wide-range of ethics & compliance matters. You will help scale Upwork’s & compliance & ethics program and ensure the company operates in compliance with applicable laws in the areas of Financial crime risk (sanctions, AML, CFT, other illicit finance risk), Privacy, Anti-Corruption/FCPA, and more.
- Provide risk-based legal advice relating to financial crime risk, privacy, ethics and information security, and payments compliance.
- Track new and evolving privacy, compliance, and related laws on a global basis and help drive Upwork’s compliance with them.
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of Upwork’s compliance programs and effectively communicate them to myriad stakeholders.
- Help develop and deliver training and guidelines to help business partners understand and address compliance issues as they emerge in development of new products and features.
- Support Upwork’s privacy and security compliance program, including reviewing and processing customer data requests.
- Review and consult on privacy and information security provisions in commercial agreements with customers, vendors and other third parties.
- Assist with AML, information security, privacy, and ethics process reviews and improvements, internal and external audits, and policy creation and implementation.
- Support responses to user complaints and regulatory inquiries.
- Support our vendor risk management program including conducting data privacy impact assessments.
- Support our efforts to improve metrics and data to measure legal team successes and contributions.
- You have experience balancing legal risks with business objectives
- You can work with minimal supervision and are not afraid to ask questions when you need help.
- You have 2 to 3 years experience practicing in one or more of the following areas at a law firm or in-house legal team:
- Ethics and Integrity
- Privacy and Information Security
- Anti-Money Laundering/Export Control
- You are licensed to practice law, in good standing, in at least one state in the United States.
- You are passionate about Upwork’s mission of providing economic opportunity so people have better lives.
- You have a positive attitude and high EQ. No job is too big or too small!
- Specialized knowledge of ethics, privacy/information security, or anti-money laundering law.
- Experience advising clients with a global footprint.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills, to explain complex concepts for a variety of audiences.
- Ability to juggle many projects effectively -- big and small.
- A people person who leads with empathy and has the soft skills to build strong, trusted relationships with business partners. You value giving and receiving constructive feedback.
- Good sense of humor.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: Anywhere.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈