(Senior) Software Engineer, Data
2 months ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
When you join Renaissance®, you join a global leader in pre-K–12 education technology. Renaissance’s solutions help educators analyze, customize, and plan personalized learning paths for students, allowing time for what matters—creating energizing learning experiences in the classroom. Our fiercely passionate employees and educational partners have helped drive phenomenal student growth, with Renaissance solutions being used in over one-third of US schools and in more than 100 countries worldwide. Every day, we are connected to our mission by exemplifying our values: trust each other, win together, strive for the best, own our actions, and grow and evolve.
For more information about Renaissance, visit:
For more information about Schoolzilla, visit:
Empower People to Use Data to Increase Student Success
Schoolzilla is a product group within Renaissance whose mission is to change millions of
students’ lives by enabling people to use data to run great schools. Teachers and school
leaders need lots of data to make good decisions for their students, but most of them can’t get the data they need in any kind of useful, actionable format. Schoolzilla's team of developers, data visualizers, seasoned educators and K-12 experts have done just that: we've made data easy to find, understand, and act on for school districts everywhere. We've already helped thousands of schools make better, faster decisions with our platform.
Every day we live our founding values : Driven by Mission, Better Together, Teammates Matter, Equity At The Center, and Intellectual Humilarity (humility + hilarity).
How You Can Help
Schoolzilla’s Engineering team is responsible for empowering school systems across the
country to take data-driven action by delivering timely, accurate, and actionable data. As a
member of this team, you'll be at the center of product innovation. You'll collaborate with product managers, designers, and your teammates to take ideas from concept to reality, utilizing your full range of technical skills and a healthy dose of user empathy.
In this role you will:
● Craft fault-tolerant data pipelines and distributed systems that can scale by millions of
● Ensure that timely, accurate data is delivered to the variety of tools and systems that
depend on it
● Partner with your peer engineers and product owners to bring new features and products
● Design and build connections to proprietary data systems, allowing us to bring new
customers onboard easily and cost-effectively
● Define and calculate new key performance indicators for a deeper understanding of
student performance at a school or district
● Develop and improve internal services, scripts, and tools that will be leveraged
throughout the company
● Establish new patterns and frameworks for quickly aggregating millions of raw data
records into actionable metrics
● Craft sample data sets for use in demos and testing
For this role, you must have:
● Experience designing, implementing, and supporting modern enterprise-scale ETL / ELT
pipelines that are both efficient and intuitive.
● Experience architecting data warehouses and data lakes that are organized, performant,
and easy to use
● Proven fluency in one or more major programming languages such as Python and
experience in SQL
● Proficiency with major relational databases, particularly Microsoft SQL Server and
● Knowledge of modern, cloud-based data pipeline best practices
● Experience working in an Agile software development organization
● Mission-Driven: You feel a deep sense of ownership for your work, and a relentless
desire to deliver better results. You are passionate about solving problems for our users.
● A Lifelong Learner: You love learning new things. You're curious and ask good
questions. You solicit feedback from others, accept it with grace, and act on it.
● Flexible: You are comfortable with technical ambiguity and welcome rapid iteration
Bonus Points For:
● Understanding of how data is used in K-12 education
● Experience with the tools we use, like AWS (including Glue and Lambda), SQL Server,
Postgres, Flask, and Docker - plus experience with tools we don’t use, but should, and
the wisdom to know when to recommend them
● Experience using non-relational data stores, such as document stores, key-value stores,
and graph databases
● Experience working remotely or as part of a geographically distributed team
● Experience working in an an organization the utilizes DevOps practices
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈