Senior Legal Counsel
1 month ago
Hiring from: USA Only
Category: Finance / Legal
CircleCI is looking for an exceptional Senior Legal Counsel to join our dynamic and collaborative legal team. We work cross-functionally and partner closely with other departments to help achieve CircleCI’s ambitious goals and help see around corners to protect the company’s core values and interests. This key Legal hire will have a broad focus in the following areas: business transactions and commercial contracts, protection of intellectual property, international expansion, employment, litigation and dispute resolution, and BD & partnerships. This will be a great experience for a person who wants to dive right in, learn quickly on the job, and ultimately become an integral contributor to the company’s continued expansion. As part of our growing team, you will have the opportunity to gain exposure to all aspects of our in-house legal work and help drive impact across our global organization as we rapidly scale.
This position reports to the Associate General Counsel.
- Work across a spectrum of complex legal, business, and strategic issues
- Draft, negotiate and close a variety of contracts, such as sales, licensing, consulting agreements, and vendor contracts, and support CircleCI’s fast-moving, global Revenue team
- Prepare, evaluate, and negotiate a variety of partnerships, reseller agreements and strategic alliance transactions
- Draft and help maintain CircleCI’s online agreements and written templates
- Collaborate with teams across CircleCI, including Sales, Finance, BD, Marketing, Security, Customer Engineering, Product & Engineering
- Assist in the management of internal processes to secure patent, trademark, and other intellectual property protection. Evaluate, prepare, and negotiate licenses of third-party intellectual property rights and the company's intellectual property rights, including open source
- Advise on a full range of issues related to product development and commercialization, including compliance with US and international laws on data security, marketing, consumer protection, risk management, and partner relations
- Partner with CircleCI’s Security team on data privacy, GDPR and CCPA compliance efforts and provide in-house subject matter expertise with respect to evolving domestic and international data privacy laws
- Assist in advising management on employment law matters for our global and distributed organization. Participate in the preparation and review of employment policies and employee benefit plans
- Provide creative thinking to help identify legal technology solutions and related processes, including contract management, document and matter management tools, etc. in order to drive efficiency, collaboration and internal alignment
- Identify ways and initiate projects to continuously improve templates, processes, and operations.
- 7+ years of experience as a practicing attorney, including experience working at a top-tier law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Extensive experience with technology agreements and commercial transactions; specific experience with SaaS contracts is a plus
- Strong communication (both written and verbal) and project management skills with a strict attention to detail
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information at the highest level
- Experience working with international teams and cross-functionally within organizations
- Team player who enjoys building relationships and collaborating with others
- The ability to effectively prioritize and advance multiple deals happening simultaneously, often on tight deadlines
- Excellent judgment, and being capable of making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information
- The willingness to jump in and do whatever needs doing, whether or not it fits squarely in your area of expertise
- Membership in at least one state bar (preferably CA)
- Familiarity with Google Docs, Gmail, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro, DocuSign and Salesforce, but we will train a person who has experience with similar tools or an ability to learn
If you’re interested in joining the team at CircleCI, please send a resumé and cover letter describing what inspires you and why you think you are a good fit for the team. If you contribute to an open-source project, write a blog, or have a presence on the web (Twitter, Quora, Linkedin, etc.) we would love to hear about it.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect" candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
Founded in 2011 and headquartered in downtown San Francisco with a global, remote workforce, CircleCI is venture-backed by IVP, Sapphire Ventures, Owl Rock, NextEquity Partners, Scale Venture Partners, Threshold Ventures, Baseline Ventures, Top Tier Capital Partners, Industry Ventures, Heavybit, and Harrison Metal Capital. Learn more at https://circleci.com.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈