1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: North America Only
Category: Human Resources
Come help us build the world’s most reliable and fastest growing CI/CD system! Our customers range from well-known household brands to small startups and everywhere in between. We’re growing at a high pace and we need you to help us scale further.
CircleCI is looking for an engineering leader to help us shape a mission-critical domain: the future of our pricing infrastructure and applications. In this role, you’ll lead a team of engineers responsible for the system our customers use to pay for our services and ensure they can always keep building.
We work behind the scenes to ensure a smooth experience for everyone involved in payment transactions. We are responsible for the proper handling of millions of dollars across thousands of daily transactions, and everyone is counting on us to deliver reliably and efficiently.
We work hand in hand with our Product, Revenue, Data, Customer Success, and Finance teams to improve our product. At the same time, we’re there to maintain compliance and cleanliness in our data and records and protect our bankrolls:
- We help our customers manage their payments and credits with us, and provide visibility into usage for them.
- We help our teammates in the Customer Success teams respond to customer inquiries, and help teams across our company have the tools and information they need to be able to act fast when our customers need help.
- We wrangle lots of details and even more numbers.
Our mission is to ensure that our customers can conveniently pay us in a way that feels aligned with that value. We do this by enabling customers to optimize the value of the CircleCI platform through usage transparency and easy billing.
We’re looking for an engineering manager to lead a fast moving product engineering team delivering a product which supports a broad range of our customers, from a free Open Source plan to small, fast-growing startups, to huge enterprise businesses. This is a unique opportunity to have impact at scale in one of our most critical business domains, in a role where you’ll develop engineers, guide careers, organize projects, be accountable for technical delivery, and empower this distributed team of engineers.
Beyond working with our wonderful team, you’ll get to work closely with our partners in the Product organization, as well as stakeholders across our entire company, ranging from individual contributors in other departments to C-level Executives. You’ll be working with a stack of tech and tools that includes (but is not limited to) Clojure, Looker, Datadog, and many more, and working at a scale that creates fun and challenging problems. If you like solving problems at scale, are a systems thinker and bring strong business acumen, this role could be an exciting opportunity for you.
We’re looking for someone who’s keen on helping us advance our capabilities as a team in topics like stakeholder management, product thinking, delivery excellence, capacity planning, scalability, and incremental value delivery, and who’s interested in helping us support the strategic evolution of this domain.
The team you’ll lead and help grow is a talented and diverse group of currently 7 engineers focused on providing a highly reliable and high performing payment system used by our customers across the globe. This team is responsible for all aspects of this system including new feature development, maintenance, infrastructure, and automation, as well as responding to urgent customer needs.
NOTE: This role includes mandatory periodic after-hours on-call work.
- Support the team: You’ll collaborate with engineering leadership and key stakeholders on longer-term, strategic planning as well as seeing out the execution of those initiatives.
- Support engineers’ growth: You’ll have direct reports ranging from junior-level to highly experienced engineers. You’ll be responsible for their performance and career growth. You’ll work with them to identify areas in our Engineering Competency Matrix where they’d like to focus their efforts, and support them through regular feedback, goal setting, and providing them with challenging work that drives value for our users and business.
- Collaborate with leaders across the organization: You’ll work with leaders in every department - Revenue, Finance, Marketing, Product, Engineering, and more - to help solve for the needs of our rapidly growing company.
- Learning and Development: Attract, onboard, and retain diverse top talent. Develop people and the team through coaching, mentoring, and management support. Conduct regular 1:1s, goal setting, and feedback conversations with engineers to ensure their well-being and team health, and support them in their learning and development. Continuously work to improve inclusion and belonging on your team and throughout our organization.
- Organizational work: Help us continuously improve and grow; and build further support structures for our teams by driving broader organizational development and cross-cutting initiatives with the rest of our engineering management team.
- Drive delivery: Partner with our Product Management team to support the team in continuously delivering user value incrementally. Drive longer-term strategic improvements and investments in buildout and improvement of our plans & payments system and its reliability.
- Technical work: Help grow the expertise of your team’s performance, reliability, resilience, scalability, maintainable architecture, and experimentation, in collaboration with the technical leaders on the team. We don’t expect you to write or review code on a regular basis, so this role may not be for you if you will deeply miss those things.
- People development: You have at least three years of experience building and leading software development or operations teams and have managed teams that have built and shipped products at scale. Your experience includes hiring, supporting employee growth, and performance management.
- Stakeholder management: You have a track record of collaborating closely with and managing stakeholders across different functions, levels, roles, and backgrounds. You work very well cross-functionally, and feel comfortable working closely with Customer Success Engineers or Accountants, as well as talking to Executives.
- Communication: You’re an effective communicator who’s able to convey and tailor important information to a broad variety of audiences and create and maintain shared understanding. You bring strong feedback skills to your team. You’re proficient in English in verbal and written form.
- Systems & Product thinking: You bring strong product and systems thinking: you thrive on developing a deep understanding of complex, interconnected systems at the technical and operational level, and on working with your team to evolve these over time. You know what it takes to build great products that customers enjoy using, and enjoy collaborating with your team to continuously make those better.
- Delivery: You are knowledgeable about modern software engineering practices and how to apply them. You believe in agile and lean values. You have a track record of using these methods in practice to continuously deliver business value, and of ensuring visibility of delivery progress to a variety of stakeholders.
- Impact-driven: You are able to own delivery for your team, provide visibility into it, and be accountable for it. You rely on data to make decisions about the best action to take, and are keen to monitor progress against key metrics. You drive towards outcomes and assess any opportunity for its potential impact, and help your team do the same.
- Leadership: You are a service-oriented leader, an effective communicator and strong collaborator who emphasizes continuous learning, and you know what it takes to build strong, productive teams. You thrive on developing people and building inclusive teams. You are able to make hard decisions and tradeoffs, and thrive on a high level of responsibility and autonomy.
- Learning: You bring action orientation and a drive to continuously improve the teams you work with. You encourage a healthy work environment that’s both supportive and challenging.
- Remote work: You are comfortable working on and leading distributed teams across multiple time zones.
- After-hours on-call: You’re willing to provide periodic after-hours on-call support for your team.
- Adaptability: You’re comfortable with ambiguity and figuring things out as they evolve, change, and new requirements emerge. Our company and customer base are rapidly growing and this means new information can lead to new processes and outcomes.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those who are enthusiastic about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do work that excites you, we hope you’ll apply.
We’re a distributed company with teammates across the world. The team you’ll be leading is distributed across North America, supporting our internal teams and a global customer base. For this role, we are hiring an Engineering Manager to work remotely in the United States and through our affiliate, Continuous Labs, in the following Canadian territories: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan.
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: North America Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈