(Senior) Backend Ruby Engineer
1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: Poland only
Category: Software Development
As a Senior Full Stack Ruby Engineer, you will have the opportunity to be one of the founding members of the GlossGenius R&D team. In this position, you will have large ownership and accountability over a large part of the GlossGenius technical ecosystem - sometimes working across and fully owning the development across multiple repositories.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Working with Product Managers to understand business requirements for new applications and features and then translating them into technical requirements and architecture.
- Collaborating with your team to convert technical requirements and architecture into an actionable roadmap and plans
- Writing beautiful, effective, and scalable code
- Iterating on your work to meet business needs
- Writing automated tests for all of the code that you write
- Scale existing code bases to better meet the needs of the future
- Communicating progress, risk, and timelines to the management team and Product Managers
- Planning, estimating, and conducting work in an agile format
- Collaborating with your team to develop large-scale applications and features used by tens of thousands of businesses
For this role, we're looking for someone who has a strong, product-centric mindset and who is excited about working in an independent, fast-paced startup environment to develop products end-to-end from planning to deployment. If that sounds like you, we want to meet you!
You will be a great fit at GlossGenius for this role if you...
- Have at least 5 years of work experience (not including internships / work during university) as a software developer
- Are deeply proficient in Ruby OR two other backend languages
- Have a strong passion in designing and building cutting-edge software and well-structured and easily-maintainable code
- You have solid experience in writing complex, large-scale production web applications and APIs
- Have strong experience in working with and optimizing transactional databases
- Are very proficient in written and verbal communication in English
- Have experience and understanding of DevOps practices
- Deep prior experience working with Test Driven Development
- Have experience working effectively and independently, taking high-level business requirements, developing detailed technical requirements and then executing on those technical requirements.
- Have strong communication skills and work well within teams
- University education in software engineering / computer science
- Knowledge of other programming languages - Golang, Swift, Java, Elixir
- Experience in developing and maintaining micro-services
- Ruby on Rails
- Elixir / Phoenix
- React Native
- Two-week Agile sprints with regular demo days to showcase and present work
- Work in a “squad” model where your team will be made up of developers, QA, designer, and Product Manager all collaborating on the same problem
- Agile development flow based on GitHub, JIRA, Slack and CircleCI
- Test Driven Development of all code
- QA team in place to conduct manual testing of all releases
- Complete toolset including New Relic, Rollbar, Crashlytics, and more to inspect & fix performance issues
- Personal development: Personal development and education are at the heart of our core values. We invest heavily in all of our team members by providing:
- Online courses: We have a company repository of online courses from services such as Udemy and Coursera on a number of different topics (both technical and non-technical if you want to learn something new!). You are free to access these at any time.
- Digital book repository: We maintain a large repository of the latest books in technology and management. You will have access to this full repository.
- Peer-driven learning: We host regular in-house events for sharing knowledge and passion such as lightning talks and lunch-and-learns. We sometimes also bring external speakers in to speak to our team as well. You are also encouraged to participate and teach your team your skills and passion as well.
- Communities of practice: Aside from your “squad” which you will be working with on a day-to-day basis, you can also join a community of practice, which is a team focused on developing and improving skills in specific areas.
- Personal development budget: If you are hungry for more knowledge and need more than the above, we provide an annual personal development budget where we share in the costs of your continuing and ongoing education - anything from additional books, in-person classes, or conferences.
- In the office: You will be one of the founding members of our core R&D office.
- Flexible working hours: Everyone has a different working style and time - work the hours when you feel the most productive.
- Fun stuff:
- Free and unlimited snacks and coffee
- Pizza social event at the end of every two-week sprint
- Other occasional team bonding social events in and outside of the office (e.g., games, team dinners and lunches, bowling nights)
- Your personal tech stack: We understand that you need best-in-class tools in order to build best-in-class software. When you join GlossGenius, you will work with:
- New model of Macbook Pro
- 27 inch HD monitor
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: Poland only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈