(Senior) Elixir Engineer
1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: EMEA
Category: Software Development
Will you join us on a journey to disrupt the trillion-dollar travel industry? We are looking for the best and brightest who share our passion for travelers, data and product.
FindHotel believes travel is the one thing that opens minds to new ideas, cultures, and ways of thinking. Our mission is to
GET EVERY TRAVELLER THE BEST ACCOMMODATION DEAL, WORLDWIDE. From adventure travel and backpacking to honeymoons and family vacations, we genuinely care so that every traveller can make the best-informed accommodation choice at the absolute best conditions for every trip.
We are looking for a Senior Elixir Engineer to join our BoFH (Booking on FindHotel) Squad - in our office in Amsterdam or remotely (between UTC-3 and UTC+3 time zone).
At our core, we build highly performant, scalable and reliable services and components. We work with modern technologies such as Elixir and Go - and, as we embrace the DevOps culture, our infrastructure-as-code in the cloud (AWS) is managed and run using tools like Docker, GitLab CI, and Terraform. You will be a part of a squad of bright engineers with a passion for delivering great software, as well as team members from a broader range of disciplines - data analysts and scientists, product owners, UX experts, and marketing specialists.
- Work in a team to solve challenging problems, integrating accommodation providers and building blazing-fast services that serve their data.
- Identify bottlenecks and opportunities for improvements in terms of performance and code quality.
- Help improving our infrastructure and scale it to support our continuous growth in a cost-effective way.
- Support the growth of junior and intermediate engineers by coaching them in their daily tasks, as well as raising the bar at how things are done within both your team and the bigger engineering group.
- In your first week, you will get acquainted to the squad, its codebase and the tooling, with the goal of shipping something to production and build confidence early on.
- In your first month, you will get to know more people from the other squads and disciplines, in order to understand the foundation of the business and the various bits it is made of.
- One quarter in, you will be effectively an active member of your squad and your teammates will fully count on you; you will have built meaningful relationships within the company and be comfortable discussing ideas, inside and outside of your squad's scope; ideally, you will have presented a topic you are fond of in one of our internal knowledge sharing sessions and/or demoed some work the team did during our weekly all-hands meeting.
- Team sessions (with your fellow engineers and PO) to check data and brainstorm ways to improve several services performance and design scalable solutions.
- Solve open issues that affect component infrastructure reliability.
- Propose and discuss with fellow engineers efficient solutions for components and architectural design.
- Have fun writing readable, maintainable and well-tested Elixir code.
- You are used to working and thinking outside of the box, and not afraid to present unconventional ideas and solutions.
- You have at least 6 years experience in back-end development using a modern set up and tooling.
- You have previous experience building applications using Elixir or another modern functional programming language.
- You have a great understanding of APIs, databases, data structures, queues, and all things back-end, with a strong passion for automation.
- You have worked on a production system that was exposed to significant scale (whether traffic or amount of data) and you are excited about these kind of challenges.
- You have a sense of pragmatism, constantly finding the right balance between achieving technical excellence and delivering value to the end users.
- You write tests as part of your coding routine and you strive for code quality and maintainability.
- You are flexible, curious, and data-guided in helping us decide what to work on next.
- You engage with your team and all the engineering group actively, sharing knowledge and best practices in order to improve with them every day.
- You have production experience working with AWS and you have taken care of CI / deployments / infrastructure in the past.
- You are familiar with Agile Methodologies.
- You treat documentation as a first-class citizen.
- Experience with Terraform is a nice to have.
- Experience with payment gateways integration is a plus.
Is FindHotel is the right place for you? Find out by reading our CEO's blog post.
What we offer:
- Plenty of chances to learn and grow – you'll be surrounded by some of the brightest minds in the city, be part of a culture which values sharing knowledge every day and has a budget to attend conferences and develop yourself.
- A profitable company with fast growth and a great scale opportunity.
- A competitive compensation package + perks and benefits (including Stock Appreciation Rights).
- Flexible time off (take as many holidays as you need) and a chance to work remotely - we measure results, not time spent in the office.
- You will be part of a highly international team in a fun work environment.
- We value good food and offer catered lunches from various cuisines, great coffee, ice-cream in the fridge and the occasional bbq in our garden.
Blog posts worth reading
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: EMEA .
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈